While Earth Day celebrates its 50th anniversary today, many of us are left searching for ways to commemorate the event while working remotely. At Shamrock, we’re moving our annual outdoor cleanup effort to later this year. Picking up litter and sprucing up the areas near our offices is something we plan to do together as a company when things return to normal.
But until then, here are a few ideas we’re sharing with our own team for how to be kind(er) to our Earth and the environment during this special Earth Month and beyond.
Join the global movement. Check out these resources for Earth Day programs that will educate and inspire action surrounding climate issues, which is the theme for this year’s event:
Campaigns, Initiatives and Virtual Programs
- Earth Day Initiative, “Together We Can: Climate Action Campaign” www.earthday.org
- NASA’s Earth Day 2020: 50th Anniversary Tool Kit www.nasa.gov/content/earth-day-2020
- April 22-27, 2020: Earthx2020 in partnership with National Geographic, presents the “World’s Largest Environmental Experience” www.earthx.org/expo
- April 22, 2020: Earth Day Network: “Earth Day Goes Digital with 24 Hours of Action” Explore digital events happening worldwide on earthday.org
If you’re able to manage the landscape around your office or facility, think about beautifying your space with new plants and trees. This is a great team-building activity (when social distancing restrictions are lifted). It’s also a wonderful way to make a lasting impact on the environment, beyond this year’s Earth Day. Following is some useful information about choosing the right trees and plants for your area, and tips for planting and growing (from The Old Farmer’s Almanac: www.almanac.com):
- Go native: Plants thrive best when they’re natural to your area. See our article on native plant landscaping and 10 tips for an eco-friendly garden.
- Talk to your local government about planting more trees and native garden beds in public spaces, or consider planting your own on your property: See advice on how to plant a tree.
Walk the Talk
At Shamrock we launched a sustainability program earlier this year that helps give back: For every eco-friendly premium or apparel item that we sell from our sustainable product line, we donate to the nonprofit One Tree Planted onetreeplanted.org to plant trees around the world.
Our Shamrock Cares effort is completely employee-driven. It’s something we’re collectively passionate about and it also aligns with our values as a company—which is why it’s been so successful. If you’re interested in implementing a similar effort at your company, I’m happy to share how we developed and structured the program, the partners we use, etc. Connect at email@example.com.
Stay Safe. Stay Healthy!