To be successful in brand marketing, you’ve got to keep your finger on the pulse of trending media channels and consumer behaviors. At the same time, you can’t overlook the essentials. Print is a long-time marketing tool that has not only endured. It’s currently enjoying a bump in user appeal.
If you’re not incorporating print in your brand marketing mix, it’s time to read the fine print: Tactile, functional, and with greater brand recall and longer shelf life than digital impressions, print marketing resonates with consumers across all generations and industries.
Why use print in your brand marketing program?
In an increasingly digital world, print marketing continues to hold its ground as a powerful and effective way to engage with customers. From brochures to direct mail postcards to display ads, print marketing is a versatile marketing tool that works. Providing a refreshing break from digital overload, print marketing can help you make meaningful brand connections with lots of added benefits. Print is…
- User-friendly: 92% of 18- to 23-year-olds find reading print over digital content easier. (Forer)
- Effective: Combining print and digital ads makes online campaigns 400% more effective (Top Media Advertising). And 88% of millennials take time to read direct mail or print media. (USPS)
- Engaging: Nearly 80% of consumers act on direct printed mail advertisements compared to 45% of consumers that act on electronic ads. (Potochny)
- Trusted: 82% of consumers trust print ads the most when making a purchase decision. (Marketing Sherpa)
- Cost-efficient: The ROI for direct mail is highly profitable. For every $100 spent on letterboxing, consumers spend an average of $1250—a 1,300% ROI. (Context Graphics)
Print marketing trends to keep your brand on track.
To help your brand stand out in today’s crowded marketplace, try implementing these six on-trend print marketing practices:
- Personalization takes center stage: Consumers today expect tailored experiences, and print is no exception. Using variable data printing (VDP) enables you to create highly personalized campaigns by customizing text, images, and offers for individual recipients. By leveraging data analytics and customer insights, you can deliver targeted messages that resonate with your audience, making personal, genuine connections that help drive higher response rates.
- Interactive print experiences: To captivate today’s tech-savvy consumers, print materials are becoming increasingly interactive. Using Augmented Reality (AR) and QR codes to bridge the gap between print and digital media is a popular trend. By incorporating AR elements into brochures, flyers, or direct mail, your customers and prospects can unlock immersive experiences, such as 3D product demonstrations, interactive games, or virtual tours—brand interactions that are memorable and engaging.
- Sustainable and eco-friendly printing: In an era of heightened environmental awareness, sustainable print practices are gaining significant traction. More brands opt for eco-friendly print materials: recycled paper, tree-free paper made from jute wheat, straw, or agricultural waste, and soy-based inks. Moreover, embracing leaner printing processes that minimize waste and optimize resource utilization is a best practice that resonates with consumers who appreciate brands that prioritize sustainability.
- Integration of print with digital channels: We know that print marketing is most effective when integrated with digital channels. So, leverage print materials to drive traffic to your online platforms using QR codes, personalized URLs, and social media icons. Combining print and digital marketing touches allows you to create cohesive multi-channel campaigns that maximize reach and engagement.
- Storytelling through print: Storytelling has long been a powerful marketing tool, and print offers a unique opportunity to tell compelling brand stories. Craft narratives that resonate with your audience using visually appealing print materials—think specialty packaging or creative product catalogs. And use storyline graphics to share your values and evoke emotions for a lasting brand impact.
- Unique print applications & substrates. Using bold, standout print techniques can differentiate your brand from competitors, making a visual and tactile connection with your audience. On-trend is textured papers; shimmering or three-dimensional effects; intricate laser-cutting detail; and eye-catching gold or colored foil applications.
Print marketing offers great opportunities for targeting and connecting with customers and is expected to continue seeing solid gains this year and beyond. A recent Sequel report showed that marketers mailed just over 8.4 billion pieces in Q1 2022, bumping direct mail volume growth up 11.3% year-over-year.
Shamrock manages print marketing campaigns for our customers in various industries and markets, from direct mail to product catalogs to branded kits. We use print as part of an integrated strategy to help brands like yours make memorable connections and grow their reach. So, if you need help with your print marketing, reach out to start the conversation.