There have been days when I’ve wanted to chuck everything, call in sick, and play a slow round of 18 holes with just a flock of fairway birds cheering me on. And I’ll admit, sometimes I’ve given in to this wishful thinking, and it helped me recharge my workday batteries. But, if I did this too often, my work ethic and my personal goals would suffer. Here are a few simple alternatives that may help ease the pain of getting out of bed on a workday morning:
7. Have a ridiculously comfortable desk chair: The nicer your chair, the longer you can stand to sit in it before having to get up because you’re antsy. And of course if you’re antsy and walking around the office with a general aimlessness, you’re not working.
6. Make a To-Do List: Lists are great because the simple act of making the list gives you something to do in those moments of lost energy when you don’t actually want to be working, but, you’ll find yourself doing something remotely work related, and you may simply motivate yourself to tackle on task on the list.
5. Set up Google Reader or Technorati: You can tell yourself that you’re just taking a brief time out to keep up to date with the latest industry news, but what you’re really doing is reading a few industry (non-industry?) blogs. You may actually learn something, and the industry stuff may stick, so you’ll be able to rattle off interesting relevant factoids in meetings.
4. Use Supplies as a Self-Motivator: If you’re running out of paper clips and staples, get some. If a certain program would increase your productivity, ask for it. It’s much easier to do the job when you have everything necessary. Once you get into a position where there’s not much else for you to ask for you’ll be able to apply all these tools to hone your skills and do a better job.
3. Monetized Incentives: Money is still the primary objective of work. Don’t be afraid to ask for a raise every year if you’ve seriously been rockin’ at work. But first, make sure you’ve really been above par.
2. Respect for the Team: If you have a vested interest in the people around you, that comes with a vested interest in how work goes for them. This act of supporting the team is as contagious as a virus, so it’s likely your coworkers will reciprocate by making something easier for you and it will become a productive cycle that makes work more productive and fun for everyone.
ONE LAST THOUGHT:
1. The 100/90 Rule: Give your job 100% effort 90% of the time. You’ll do great. You’ll feel good. About yourself, your job, and the people you work with. The other 10%? Take a break from the ordinary, and do something extraordinary; something that is really special to you.